Devils Bowling Green
Devil’s Bowling Green Battery was stablished about 1781 with two 24-pdr guns. It covered Sandy Bay and was on the cliff edge as it then existed.
In 1856 this was upgraded to two 32-pdr guns and two 8-inch Howitzers.
In 1871, based on recommendations of Sir William Francis Drummond Jervois, a proposal was made to rearm the battery with one 9-inch RML gun. However, a return from 1888 shown no guns at this battery so it is presumed this upgrade was never made.
Site destroyed in about 1898 as the area was used for fill to build the new harbour.