The Defensible barracks on Europa Flats were built as a result of recommendations made by Sir John Jones in his 1841 report. The barracks are defensible from close attack, with three caponiers and loop holed walls all round.
On the south side of the Defensible Barracks some new casemates were later added as known as Casemated Barracks. Theses casemates are designated as bombproof (for their time).
The building now houses the University of Gibraltar.