The Commons Hall is part of the Lower Galleries and is located at the north end of the King’s Gallery. It is cut our of a natural rock feature that has been enlarged to provide casemated (cave) embrasures for four guns. Signage dates the feature to 1789. The Battery helped cover the approaches to the Grand Battery and looked out over the Innundation.
Returns for 1859 show that the Commons Hall mounted:
- One 24-pdr
- Three 24-pdr
The 1886 return shows:
- Two 64/32-pdr RML
During World War 2 the gun embrasures were modified with concrete additions and converted to machine gun emplacements. Some of the original range cards are still in place.