Civil Hospital Battery
This was one of the four Retired Batteries built on the recommendation of the Jones Report of 1841. Urban building in the area quickly made it redundant.
The battery was armed with five 68-pdr guns by 1859, although later returns indicate that this was reduced to two 64/32-pdr RML gun on dwarf traversing carriages. The surviving front pivot show is probably from one of the guns. Much of the battery has been lost under extensions to the Hospital.
By the late 1890s the battery does not appear to have been active.
The other Retired Batteries in the City area were: