This battery was cut into the cliffs above Moorish Caste. Built in the 1870s with three gun emplacements each mounting a 9-inch RML. There was also a fourth chamber cut out as a Magazine. This was upgraded to 10-inch RMLs in 1892.
The other 9-inch RML batteries in Gibraltar were at:
- Buena Vista, 1 gun
- Calpe Battery, 3 gun
- Governor’s Lookout, 1 gun
- Ince’s & Forral’s Farms, 1 gun each
- New Mole Battery, 4 guns
By 1906 the casemates were being used as an underground bakery and during World War 2 was used as an administrative centre and hospital.
The UK National Archives refrences
- WO 78/2616