This battery is located on the top of Mount Misery as one of the Upper Batteries, with the name Breakneck being adopted in 1901. This 9.2-inch gun is situated immediately above both O’Hara’s and Lord Airey’s Batteries. The gun lies adjacent to Spyglass High Angle Fire Battery.
The Battery and underground works were constructed between 1902 and 1906 with a 9.2-inch Mark X gun on a Mark V mount. The magazine was cut out of rock immediately to the south of the gun emplacement. The gun initially had a basic shield but during World War 2 overhead cover was provided.
The Stay Behind Cave was built into the Rock, near the battery, during World War 2.
The gun remains in place and the underground works were all in reasonable condition in 2020.
The other 9.2-inch Gun Batteries in Gibraltar are:
The UK National Archives
- WO 78/2532
- WO 78/3839