Georgetown, British Guiana

Posted on September 18, 2020 / 4
Listing Type : Defended Commercial Port
Location : Caribbean Sea

Georgetown, British Guiana (now Guyana) was initially occupied by the Dutch in the 1600s and was taken over by the British in 1814 and became a colony in 1831.

Royal Commission Appointed to Enquire into the Defence of British Possessions and Commerce Abroad 1879 to 1883 under the Earl of Carnarvon, designated George Town as a Defended Commercial Port.  However little was ever done to prepare defences to protect the harbour area.  According to plans dated about 1900 (WO 78/5422), George Town had the following defences:

  • Eve Leary Barracks
  • Fort William Fredrick a fort built by the Dutch. (plan TNA MR 1/199/3).
  • A battery of two 4.7-inch Quick Fire guns mounted in Fort William Fredrick in a coastal defence role
  • General defence, one 9-pdr RML and three Maxim Machine Guns

 

    Related Listings