In 1878, with the agreement of the Ottoman Empire, Cyprus became a British protectorate. From 1914, when the British declared War against the Ottoman Turks, it became a military occupation that endure until 1925. Cyprus was a British Crown colony from 1925 until 1960 when it became independent.
The British maintained a reasonable garrison in Cyprus, initially two regiments. Later there was one Garrison Regiment with the headquarters at Nicosia,. The troop were barracked at Limassol (Polmedia) and but during the summer months moved to the cooler Troodos Camp. A small detachment of Royal Engineers helped supervise the building of roads and barracks. The Royal Engineers, Ordnance and Commissariat Departments were located on the northern edge of Limassol.
The Island was largely a backwater and used primarily for the rest and recreation of British Troops, and some Indian units. It was however, regarded of strategic importance because it allowed the British to keep an eye on the Northern entry to the Suez Canal.
In 1881 plans were drawn up for coastal defences to be built at Famagusta Harbour which would be used as a Coaling Station. This included a total of 161 guns, many smoothbore, and six distinct batteries or forts. As far as can be determined these recommendations were never approved.