Falmouth Submarine Mining Establishment
The Falmouth Submarine Mining Establishment was established in 1887 after an inspection of the Falmouth defences by Lieutenant General Lothian Nicholson, Inspector General of Fortifications. Eighteen Royal Engineers were stationed at Pendennis Castle to train a Corps of Volunteer Submarine Miners, much in the same way as had been done on the Tyne between 1884-85. Two years training was given, including many local fishermen who understood the tides and sea bed. By 1889 Minefield Observations Cells had been established at St Mawes and Pendennis Castle. Batteries were also built for and Quick Fire guns and Maxim machine guns to protect the minefield from interference.
In 1892 the Submarine Mine Volunteers were converted to a Militia and construction of the Submarine Mining Establishment was completed. A pier, that could be used whatever the state of the tide, was also completed and called Submarine Pier.
The Submarine Pier and Submarine Mining Establishment have now been lost to development.