Dymchurch Redoubt

Redoubt Way, Dymchurch, Romney Marsh, UK
Posted on May 14, 2021 / 77
Listing Type : Coastal Fort
Location : England

Dymchurch Redoubt was constructed between 1804 and 1812 as part of a general building plan that included Harwich Redoubt and Eastbourne Redoubt.  Dymchurch Redoubt was built to support a line of twenty one Martello Towers, that ran along the south coast from Hythe in Kent to Rye in Sussex.

As with Harwich and Eastbourne Redoubts, Dymchurch Redoubt has a brick circular keep on two levels.  The works are sunk into the ground, with a dry ditch around the outside.  There are no caponiers covering the ditch.

The outer wall had ten embrasures for 24-pdr smooth bore guns mounted on traversing carriages and firing through granite faced embrasures.  The old 24-pdrs were replaced with two 68-pdr RMLs and ten 32-pdr in about 1871. In 1895 when three additional 68-pdr were mounted, probably replacing the old 32-pdrs facing the sea.

During World War 2 and Emergency 6-inch battery was constructed on the Redoubt, and various pillboxes built to cover the beach and land approaches.   These new works were largely built over the old gun positions.

    Related Listings