The Citadel Battery was built between 1895 and 1902, on the west side of the Western Heights, to mount three 9.2-inch BL guns. This Battery was built at the same time as Langdon Battery on the east side of Dover Castle which mounted two 6-inch BL guns and three 9.2-inch BL guns.
The three 9.2-inch guns were placed in two groups with underground magazines between the emplacements and telephone rooms to the rear. The underground works remain intact, but the entrances have been back filled. The original Battery Command Post was in the centre to the rear of the battery. This was later moved to the west side near where a World War 2 Type 23 pillbox now stands.
The site is now heavily overgrown and derelict.