Fort Burgoyne (Castle Hill Fort)
Fort Burgoyne was one of the fortifications recommended by the Royal Commission. Work commenced on this fort in 1861 but it was not completed until 1873. It was built to mount twenty nine gun on the terreplein, with six in Haxo Casemates, and twenty six cuns in caponiers and the counterscarp. Nine guns were also allowed for the outer works. By 1892 the fort mounted six 7-ins Rifled Breech Loaders and thirteen 24-pdr carronades (probably covering the dry moat).
The Fort is now managed by the Land Trust and can be visited when open.
(The Victorian Forts Datasheet can be seen at https://www.victorianforts.co.uk/pdf/datasheets/burgoyne.pdf).