Searchlight Batterie de la Côte 84
The Batterie de la Côte 84, also called Bellevue Battery was build in 1938. The battery was sighted to provide coverage of the sea approaches to the passage leading to Diego Suarez Bay. The Battery had a 150 cm Electric Light with separate engine room. A trench trackway led from the electric light emplacement back to a maintenance and storage building. The DEL was intended to operated in conjunction with the Electric Light at Baie des Dunes.
This battery is out of period but illustrates one of the weaknesses of the original defences, no coastal defence batteries to engage approaching targets.