Toward Point Battery (Toward Battery) is out of period but is of interest because much of it survives and it clearly illustrates a weakness in the extent of the earlier coastal batteries.
Toward Battery was built to mount two 4.7-inch Mark IV guns on Mark III mountings. The guns dated back to 1901-2 and the mounts were even older. The guns were mounted in December 1939 and fully operational by February 1940. This was an Emergency Battery as required after the evacuation of Dunkirk. The guns were mounted in gun houses with overhead cover. The three above surface magazines were to the rear of the guns, and the Battery Command Post just to the East of the gun line. Accommodation units were built to the East of the gun positions. Defence Electric Lights were mounted on the foreshore, but these have now been lost.
The Battery remained operational until December 1956 and acted as the Examination Battery.
The Fort Log is held by the National Archives WO 192/113. Other relevant documents are WO 199/2627 and WO 199/527.