Tamboers Kloof Magazine
Tamboers Kloof Magazine was built between June 1889 and March 1893. The main magazine was concrete with a brick lining and could hold 4000 barrels of gunpowder. The site included:
- A main magazine
- Gun Cotton Stores for wet and dry gun cotton
- A laboratory
- Foreman’s Quarters
- Guard House
- Cooperage for barrel making
The whole site was surrounded with a metal palisade fence, sections of which still survive. New concrete watch towers were subsequently added to this perimeter.
The cost of constructing the magazine was £9,593, considerably over the £7,636 estimate. The main magazine has a VR date on it of 1893, the date that the construction was completed.
The site has now been largely redeveloped.
See TNA WO 78/3798