East Hout Bay BatteryHout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
East Hout Bay Battery was originally a Dutch Battery built to cover the sandy beach at Hout’s Bay. West Hout Bay Battery covered the other side of the bay. In 1851 East Hout Bay Battery was still operational (see TNA WO 55/3011). The site included a platform for the guns, including one barbette emplacement, facing out to sea (south west). There was a small magazine to the north-east of the battery, and a blockhouse protecting the rear of site. A barrack block and cookhouse was built close to the blockhouse. A Fortress Observation Post was built on this site, probably working in conjunction with Apostle Battery.