South Landing was the primary location for landing materials during the construction of the six batteries in the 1860s. A crane can still be seen here, which lifted items from boats at the base of the cliff. In World War 2 a narrow gauge track was installed up to the contour path running around the Island. A searchlight position, with engine room, was built here in 1940/1 to support Garden Battery above. A second searchlight was built on the cliff adjacent.
South LandingWeston-super-Mare, UK
Posted on October 14, 2022 / 7