St Georges Submarine Mining Establishment

Bermuda
Posted on February 17, 2023 / 9
Listing Type : Submarine Warfare
Location : Bermuda

A Submarine Mining Establishment (SME) was built from 1875 onwards.  The last phase of work would appear to have been in March 1886.  The complex was built in Convict Bay, on the shoreline adjacent to where the hulks had been moored for the convicts used to construct the fortifications.  There was a small Submarine Mining Establishment on Boaz Island and it is believed this was subordinate to the main Establishment at Convict Bay in St Georges.  This was probably much like the relationship between Fort Camden SME and the subordinate Berehaven SME.

According to records held in the UK National Archives, WO 78/2964, expansion of the Submarine Mining Establishment at Convict Bay in St George’s took place in the following periods:

Torpedo Shed

Authority Given: 9th March 1876

Work Commenced: 5th March 1875

Completion: 26th October 1877

Cost: £797

Gun Cotton Magazine

Authority Given: 9th March 1876

Work Commenced: 9th May 1876

Completion: 10th February 1877

Cost: £110

Loading Shed

Authority Given: 29th March 1876

Work Commenced: 3rd June 1875 (Before authority given)

Completion: 10th March 1877

Cost: £65

Wharf Wall & Tramway

Authority Given: 29th March 1876

Work Commenced: 27th May 1876

Completion: 25th January 1878

Cost: £387

General Torpedo Store

Authority Given: 29th March 1876

Work Commenced: 5th March 1875  (before authority was given).

Completion: 26th October 1877

Cost: £797

Case Store

Authority Given: 27th April 1883

Work Commenced: 28th July 1883

Completion: 31st March 1884

Cost: £221.11

Fitting & Test Rooms

Authority Given: 17th April 1886

Work Commenced: 26th May 1886

Completion: 31st December 1886

Cost: £191

Priming & Test Pits

Authority Given: 3rd June 1885

Completion: 31st March 1887

Cost: £105

Loading Shed & Platform

Work Commenced: 4th July 1885

Completion: 31st March 1886

Cost: £166.18.3

    Related Listings