St George’s was the original capital of Bermuda and thus was the centre of the defence establishment. St George’s Harbour was used extensively by the Royal Navy as well as commercial shipping. The capital was transferred to Hamilton in 1815.
The military maintained a garrison at St George’s with barracks, a hospital, wharfs and church. There was also extensive fortifications doted around St George’s Island, including the following: