Berehaven Submarine Mining EstablishmentCastletown-Bearhaven, County Cork, Ireland
Berehaven Submarine Mining Establishment was built about 1900 to help protect the Berehaven Fleet Anchorage. Two minefields were planned, one covering the west entrance channel, and the other across the east entrance.
The Submarine Mining Establishment was built at Lawrence Cove with a workshop, a narrow gauge railway line, crane and associated accommodation.
In 1905 the Station had one officer from the Coast Battalion of the Royal Engineers, three supernumerary staff and twenty submarine miners. This Establishment was a subsidiary of the main Submarine Mining Establishment at Fort Camden.
Although only in use for a short time virtually all the original buildings of this Submarine Mining Station have survived. Much of the site remains in the hands of the Military.
Further background information on Submarine Warfare can be seen here.