Ardaragh East DEL Position
Ardaragh East DEL position was built between 1898 and 1902 to provide illumination across the eastern channel leading into Berehaven Fleet Anchorage. The four DELs are located on the shoreline just below Ardaragh Battery. The position is interconnected with deep communication and fighting trenches, and contains four Defence Electric Light positions. The DEL positions are shown as Emplacements 4, 5, 6 and 7. Emplacements 1, 2 and 3 are located at Derreycreeven DEL position.
The Engine Room was located inside Longehort Battery on the hill above.
The most westerly of the DELs is of later design, while the other three are of earlier rectangular shape.
One of these older emplacements is sunk into the ground. At the front there is a channel cut into the rock to allow a beam to reach the water. It is assumed that this was intended to be a fixed beam emplacement covering the minefield.
For more background information on Defence Electric Lights click here.