Walney Battery (Walney Point) was built between 1909 and 1911 to mount two 6-inch Mark VII guns. The location where the battery stood is clearly visible, although all above surface structures appear to have been demolished. However, the two Defence Electric Lights and a Second World War Battery Observation Post all survive. It is assumed that some of the underground works may survive.
The Fort Log states, “The Fort was built in 1910 for the defence of the Vickers Armstrong Ltd”. When built the battery was built, personnel from the Lancashire and Cheshire Royal Garrisons Artillery manned the guns. This was originally the First Lancashire Volunteer Artillery formed in 1860. This unit had two companies in Barrow, four companies in Liverpool and two companies in Secombe, Cheshire. By 1920 the Barrow Companies had been disbanded until the outbreak of World War 2. Widney Battery is referred to as being a DAY BATTERY.
In 1915 to mobile 4.7-inch gun were mounted to cover Ramsden Dock and the approach channel. In May 1915 Hilpsford Point Battery was built with two two 4.7-inch costal defence guns which were redeployed from the Drill Hall in Liverpool and Seacombe. Hilpsfod Battery became the Examination Battery.
The searchlights were not built until 1915.