Fort Montague is situated on the north eastern tip of Nassau Island to cover the entrance into Nassau anchorage. Built between June 1741 and July 1742 this is a compact fort, roughly square in shape. The gatehouse also houses the modes magazine.
Initially armed with:
- Two 24-pdr SB guns
- Two 32-pdr SB guns
- Two 12-pdr SB guns
- One Howitzer
Interestingly in 1776 the fort was captured by the US Marines in their first amphibious operation during a raid on Nassau.
In 1859 Fort Montague was armed with four 24-pdr guns.
Signage over the main entrance states that Bladen’s Battery lay to the North East of the Fort. It may well have been that Bladen’s Battery has now been lost to the sea. Fort Montague was supported by Potter’s Cay Battery which lay to the north west,