Fort D’Arcy is joined by Fort Stanley to Fort Charlotte. The complex was built between 1787 and 1798. Generally the three forts are referred to as Fort Charlotte. Fort D’Arcy includes a barrack block and central magazine which have been built below ground level. High Angle Fire artillery would be required to engage these features at a distance. Gun embrasures face out from the bastioned shaped extension.
The Fort was used by the Garrison until about 1900. It appears some 64-pdr RML (converted) gun were delivered about 1860.