One of the vital requirements of any port was to be able to provide visiting ships with drinking water for the crew. Most British establishments made use of water catchments feeding underground tanks to store this valuable commodity. The water catchment at English Harbour is situated on the hill-side above the actual dockyard and is believed to have been built about 1750. It still remains in casual use for car washing and similar activities.
The location includes a large water catchment area running down the hill to collection points that feed under ground water tanks. There are two hatches, accessed up a short flight of steps, where the water can be hauled up.