Mount Hale Battery lies on a small ridge protecting the Arsenal and adjacent to Fort Albert. The battery was built for three main reasons:
It protected the Western side of the adjacent Arsenal,
If provided fire over what would be dead ground for the guns in Fort Albers and,
It provides enfilade fire in respect of any landing on Braye Bay beach.
The battery mounted a single heavy gun but loop holed walls provided infantry fighting positions. Mount Hale Battery was built in 1858, about the same time as Fort Albert.